Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Roasted Artichokes


I was talking to Liz a couple of weeks ago about getting SPINACH and LETTUCE at the commissary. She noted I had several artichokes in my cart and told me they were "iffy". I agreed, but told her we loved them. She shared how they roast and sell them on the street in Italy. With garlic cloves and olive oil....and so.....I found THIS recipe.  We ate them before I snapped a photo. It looked a lot like this one. ::snort:: 

via Google Images

Makes 4 Roasted Artichokes

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 4 whole large artichokes
  • 2 lemons, halved
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled, left whole
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt

Preparation:

Using a serrated knife, cut off the stem of the artichoke where it meets the base. Turn the artichoke around and cut off 1-inch of the top. Quickly rub each artichoke with a cut lemon so they don't discolor.

Tear off 4 large square pieces of heavy-duty foil. Rub a few drops of olive oil on the foil and place an artichoke stem side down. Stick a clove of garlic into the center and push down an inch or so. Sprinkle over 1/4 tsp of salt. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the top. Finish by squeezing the half lemon over the top. The lemon juice will "wash" the salt and olive down in between the leaves. Gather up the corners of the foil and press together on top to tightly seal the artichoke (like a chocolate kiss). You can wrap in a second piece of foil if you don't think you have a tight enough seal. 
Repeat with the other artichokes. Place in a roasting pan and bake at 425 degrees F. for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes before unwrapping and serving. 
Arielle and Stacia split one. Nolan tried it. Michael and I liked it. I ate it without butter and it was another vegan treat. LOL 

Choosing Joy!
©2012 D.R.G.
~Coram Deo~
Living all of life before the face of God...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sis: I don't remember at all how I use to make artichokes. This recepte sounds great so will try it tomorrow or today when I get a couple. We love them though.

kive.prayers - mom t.