Saturday, August 04, 2012

Black Bean, Corn and Brown Rice Stuffed Peppers (Vegan)



I tried this. Mixed reviews. Michael really thinks sauce should go over stuffed peppers....I really liked the pepper not being soggy....but then I decided I like the filling more than the pepper. I discovered this as I had way more filling than I needed so I filled a bowl with spinach, put in 1/4 C of filling, sprinkled with nuts, squeezed a lime over it and YUMMO....and tonight I put some sweet potatoes and this in a tortilla....so I went ahead and made up 5 more "burritos" with it and put them in the freezer for "quick meals" ....and figure I like it well enough to save the recipe - even if I only make it to throw on salads and tortillas. LOL  Yep - still learning this new lifestyle. ::snort:: 


3 Cups of black beans (2 15 oz cans)
1 Cup of cooked brown rice
2 scallions, sliced (I had onions?)
1/4 C chopped cilantro (couldn't find in the commissary???)
2 T oil
2 T fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic (I used more)
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 large bell peppers (evidently the large you can get here is smaller than elsewhere?)
2 C tomato juice (I didn't have and subbed tomato sauce - next time homemade spaghetti sauce for Michael's)

Preheat 350*

Combine beans, rice, corn, scallions, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I cut the peppers in half lengthwise...seared them on both sides, drained them and then placed them in a large glass baking dish and stuffed.

Supposed to carefully spoon juice over each stuffed pepper and pour the remainder into the dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 min - 60 min.

Recipe suggests putting rice on a plate, topped by pepper and some of the juice from plate.

Makes 4 servings. (plus)

Do you usually put some sort of sauce over the top? It doesn't get too soggy? I think adding an avocado to the filling for the tortillas and salad would be good. LOL 


Choosing Joy!
©2012 D.R.G.
~Coram Deo~
Living all of life before the face of God...

No comments: