Sunday, July 13, 2008

Photobucket Boasting...

“But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”
Gal 6:14

“Thus says the Lord, ‘Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindess, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,’ declares the Lord”. Jer 9:23-24

I’m writing today’s devotional from the USO at DFW International. I’m going to keep this sweet and to the point. I’ll figure out how to upload it later. ::snort:

I love these verses. They call me to evaluate that in which I “boast, exult, glory”. I’m commanded to boast in the cross of Christ – in the knowledge that I understand God (which would never happen without the infilling of His Holy Spirit) and that I know (am intimate with) God. God delights in me boasting in HIM, his cross, my relationship with Him. Did you catch that? Father/Lord/Lover delights in me bragging on Him. Oh yeah – it’s more than bragging but the concept causes me to humbly worship Him. What a God we serve.

Are you ready for some random thoughts I’ve mulled over this week? They’ll not be flowery – this setting is too busy for THAT.

~Whenever I feel qualified to do something for the kingdom, I realize that I’m putting my dependence in ME and not on Him. I can easily begin to boast in my skills, knowledge, expertise and become off-kilter.

~I am NOT to boast or glory in my wisdom, my strength, my riches or ability to make money, my family, my homeschooling, my accomplishments….I’m to boast in HIM….His care, His provision, His strength…

~Enjoying a sense of joy at a job well done is not pride or the boasting we see in these verses.

~Because of Christ the world (world’s order, sin nature) is crucified to me. I’m crucified to the world. I’m not to try to balance sin with righteousness – I’m to crucify it.

If I were home, I’d find the lyrics for this song to share….it’s a favorite of mind. I’ve found myself humming it repeatedly after reading the above verses this week. My paraphrase of the lyrics…

“In Christ alone
I place my trust
and find my glory in the glory of the cross
In every victory
let it be said of me
my source of trust
my source of strength
is Christ Alone.”

(Oops I was singing along and garnered a “look”). ::snort::

What are you boasting in this week? Are you depending on Christ or yourself? He never fails me….I often fail myself and others.

©2008 D.R.G.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Great post, De'Etta! A great reminder to keep our focus on Him...depending on His power.

Cool little car too!