Wednesday, May 07, 2008



Kathy got me started on this Works for Me thing.....I wasn't ready to post until Thursday last week, so saved it for this week. I published it and went to link to the big site...and WAIT it's been changed.....THIS week is what DOESN'T work.....but I'm ready for next week. ::snort::

Off the top of my head - a few things that don't work for me (though they may work fine for you).

~Strict schedules for school, home, parenting, family life.....routines work better for me.

~Many natural deodorants - I still stink.

~Comparing my self and children to others.

~Fitting in a box.

~Playing the victim.

~Walmart.

~Potty training young toddlers.

~Teaching young adults to drive.

~Chlorox mops.

~Son says Tom's toothpaste but *I* love it.

~Gorgeous plants in TX - I have caught Charly's black thumb of death.

~Living up to other's preconceived expectations when they hear I'm a quiverful, homeschooling, crunchy, pastor's wife.

~Labels. ::snort:: See above.

~Fish Oil.

~Fluffy Bible studies.

~Out of context Bible teachers.

~Being expected to be a groupie.

~Many traditional curriculums.

~Civic pep talks in church.

~Cliques.

~Protein drinks.

~Instruction manuals.

~Running free and wild - give me the gym.

~6 year olds who know how to install programs on computers.

~Homeschool co-ops - though I'm dreaming of next year and a new plan. LOL

~Super, self-righteous, practically perfect people - we're all sinners saved by grace.

~Memes that change topics mid-month.....I suppose I need to keep checking back...and that is not directed at THIS one - I never even checked to see if they had a schedule. ::snort:: So what doesn't work for me is skimming instructions?

~Address books.

~Schedules.

~Killer Geese.

~Killer fruit flies swarming from the composter.

That's enough. For more entries on this theme go here. More of my WFMW posts can be read here.


Photobucket

11 comments:

Tara said...

haha well I think I can relate..to many of those.. :)

Michelle said...

I can relate too. :) Although I have found one natural deodorant that has worked well for our family. My mom told me about it--it's a Thai stone. We've been using them successfully for more than a year. My mom said she was still using her *stone* for at least two years before needing to purchase another.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Wowie Zowie! You're on a role and "schedules," seem to be a recurring item that doesn't work for you. {G}

So, I'm curious...could you make a corresponding list of things that do work for you and would it be as long? I'm just having some fun...{{g}}

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

LOL Darshia - most my blog posts ARE "What works for me" type posts, aren't they? I do have a list this long of thoughts for future week's topics of What Works For Me.....and you could just reverse most of this list to come up with a list of things that work well for me. ::snort::

Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard De'Etta!
Kathy pulled me into this too, but I have been enjoying it every Wednesday! Or Thursday for me as the case may be.
I look forward to reading next week what does work for you! :)

Kathy in WA said...

De'Etta - I love seeing you post a Works for me Wednesday (or rather a Doesn't Work for Me post). :) This is the first time Shannon has twisted things around like this but she does like to occasionally do a question rather than answer theme. In other words, you ask readers what works for them regarding a specific topic.

That can be fun!

Loved your list.

Linda said...

LOL, DeEtta! This was so funny!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

LOL Linda - it was FUN to think of what hasnt' worked for me.....because so often we blog only what DOES work for us. LOL

Kristine said...

"Many traditional curriculums."

Amen to that. I KNOW God put you in my life for several reasons, and this is just one of them! Thank you, my friend, for sharing the way you do and having such a direct influence, not only on my hsing, but in encouraging so many of us that we don't need to replicate "school" at home.

"Living up to other's preconceived expectations when they hear I'm a quiverful, homeschooling, crunchy, pastor's wife."

I guess I would only imagine that your hair might be longer, lol.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Ah, thanks Kristine.

Debbie said...

Great list, De'Etta, quite of few of them don't really work for me either.