Tuesday, April 01, 2008

OOEY GOOEY KRISPER BARS


WooHOO! You gotta try these - NO marshmallows (blue dye and such). Orig recipe ingredients in ().

1 C Agave Nectar (corn syrup)
3/4 C Rapadura (sugar)
1/4 tsp sea salt (salt)
1/2 C Peanut Butter
6 C Crispy Rice Cereal
3/4 C Chocolate chips (opt)
1/2 C Peanut Butter Chips (opt)

Coat 13x9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In large saucepan, cook corn syrup, sugar and salt over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, until mixture just begins to boil. When mixture begins to bubble and has a light froth on the surface, remove from heat.

Add peanut butter. Stir until well blended. Stir in cereal.Pout into prepared pan. Using greased spatula or waxed paper, (hey Deja - you don't burn your fingers this way ::snort::) press to level.

Sprinkle with chocolate and peanut butter chips. Cool Cut in squares. Makes 24 bars.
Note- photos updated Sept 2017
We like these. We've realized our tastes have changed since this recipe originally published in 2008. We will leave off the chocolate next time or use about 1/3 of the called for chips. They are RICH.

Thanks, Jen, for sending me this yummy recipe.

13 comments:

Linda said...

DeEtta, agave nectar is a sub for corn syrup? Where can I get this (without needing to join a big co-op which we don't have around here anyway)? I'm not a fanatic about grinding wheat and no white sugar, but I am trying desperately to get the majority of corn products out of our diet.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Linda - Agave Nectar can be used in place of corn syrup, honey, sugar....in other words. It's flavorless like corn syrup.

You can buy it at health food stores in 17 oz and 23 oz bottles. You can also buy online at breadbeckers or urbanhomemakers or wildernessfamilynatural by the gal. I recently had to buy a gal becuase the health food store here in town went out of business...but now I can buy it through United.

I use honey for lots of baking, ice cream etc. I use rapadura for cookies and such. I use Agave Nectar for things like these where I don't want the honey taste.

Lisa in Jax said...

You can buy Organic Rice Crispies and they don't have the HFCS. They still bother my stomach so I don't know what hiding in them but at least they are better than the regular kind. Oh and puffed rice makes the Crispie Treats taste stale. :snort: BTDT!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I wondered about the stale tasting thing, Linda. LOL The rice crispies - organic or otherwise are about 2/3 more the price of the puffed rice and I like the ingredients....so I think the Nola bars will be baked more often around here and these will be for treats. LOL

I'll see about getting a case or splitting a case through United.

I checked the generic ones at the commissary and not only did they have hfcs but they also had BHT etc. ugh.

Jen said...

DeEtta, if you want a chocolaty krispy bar, you can dry Kaola Krisps, from EnvironKids.

The stores around here quit selling the Organic Rice Krispies. I bought up a whole bunch on clearance and my supply is almost out. I will have to find a new source.

Jen said...

P.S. regular RK have TBHQ in them.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Wow - Jen - our box didn't say that - but Zander won't try them anyway....LOL

I'm actually online now looking at ingredients of the various organic rice krispies that I can order through United. Anyone know if barley malt is something to avoid? I have one with Brown Rice, Fruit Concentrate & sea salt and one with brown rice, barley malt, sea salt...choices....still looking.

And did you know Mothers Natural Cereals is owned by Quaker Co - which explains some of the surprising ingredients. LOL

Jen said...

TBHQ is sprayed on the bag, so its not always listed.

Malt Barley is only an issue if you are gluten free. It frustrates me when I see it in Rice Krispies as Rice cereal is one thing the GF should be able to count on eating!!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Jen - the chocolate flavor in the Koala Krisps don't cause you trouble?

Jen said...

Well, actually, I don't think my kids are fond of Koala Krisps. Which is kind of surprising. So, I try to find Organic RK.

all in the family said...

I will be trying these for sure ! Thanks bunches!

Beth in GA

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

They ARE yummy. I made the pan yesterday afternoon and they are nearly gone......

Lisa in Jax said...

My kids hated the Koala Krisps.LOL

It's a bummer that they are so expensive, definitely will need to be considered a treat.

We love granola bars here. In fact, we made some just because you mentioned them!LOL