Wednesday, February 06, 2008

THINGS THAT MAKE ME GO HMMMM!

The elliptical machine at the gym has a "range" between which one is to keep their heart rate. The problem? One end is fat burning and the other end is cardio. This doesn't make sense to me.  If I work out LESS intensely, I burn MORE fat...but Mike occupied my brain as we worked out by giving me a lesson on aerobic and anaerobic....

Here's the thing that really makes me go hmmm. My workout range was 114 (fat burning) - 144 (cardio). I got on, it took my heart rate, and my heart rate was at 117. Since 114 is my fat burning goal...this tells me I'm a fat burning machine and have no need to work out....my heart is ALWAYS in the fat burning range, right?

Kathy, maybe Tim could solve this conundrum.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Um, De'Etta, Tim would tell you to sit down and get out some chocolate. Walking to and fro would surely burn enough calories to equal it all out. Too funny!

How are you doing in the whole weight loss/exercising/new meds situation?

I'm finally getting back on track with my eating and exercising (after a too LONG winter break where I neither exercised or ate properly). Sigh! Why is it so hard to get back into good habits and so very easy to fall into the bad ones?

Jodi said...

I'm wondering if the heart rate taker on the machine is messed up! That is too high for your normal heart rate to be, it can't be right if you'd just gotten on the machine.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I tried again today, Jodi.It does seem to be right. When I say "right away" - you do have to get on and start working long enough for the programs to click through the options. LOL

Anonymous said...

Sis:

:):):)

l/p

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Kathy, I've not ignored your question - it deserves it's own post...and I'm contemplating a real answer. LOL

Jodi said...

that makes more sense. I thought you meant this was your regular not exercising yet heartrate!

Cynthia said...

Interesting!