Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Variations on Oatmeal

Photobucket Instant Oatmeal "packets"

Jared discovered that he really liked the ease and taste of these on vacation. I've been meaning to come up with a recipe. I asked on Support4HomeSchool and wa la - several recipes which I combined and tweaked. In place of Rapadura brown sugar may be used.

Homemade Instant Oatmeal packets
· 6 cups quick-cooking oats, divided
· 1 cup rapadura (added ½ C maple sugar - too sweet)
· 1 ½ tsp sea salt
· 1 tsp cinnamon
In a blender, grind 2 cups of oats into powder. Add to 4 cups oats.
Stir in rapadura, sea salt, and cinnamon; mix well. Divide into 16 small Ziploc bags (or place all in airtight container and use as much as needed each time). To serve, add ½ cup boiling water to ¼ C oatmeal mix. or microwave until it explodes. Let stand 2 min (good time to clean microwave). Packets = ¼ C oats, 2 T oat mixture, 1/8 tsp salt – I just mixed it all up.

Variations: (assuming above recipe has no sugar or cinnamon)
Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal- To each packet add 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp. chopped dried apples.


Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Oatmeal - To each packet add 1 Tbsp. brown sugar & 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Oatmeal w/Raisins & Brown Sugar - To each packet add 1 Tbsp. packed brown sugar and 1 Tbsp. raisins.

Health Nut Oatmeal - To each packet add 2 Tbsp. any kind of wheat germ

Fruit & Cream Oatmeal - To each packet add 1 Tbsp. non-dairy coffee creamer and 2 Tbsp. dried fruit

Fun Fruit Oatmeal - To each packet, add 6 or 7 pieces of 'fruit snack' type dehydrated fruit.

Confetti Oatmeal - To each packet, add 1 tsp. decorative cake/cookie sprinkles.

S'More Oatmeal - add 6 miniature marshmallows and 1 Tbsp. Milk Chocolate Chips to each packet.

Cookies n Cream Oatmeal - add 1 crushed Oreo cookie and 1 Tbsp. non-dairy coffee creamer to each packet.

Exploding Oatmeal - add 1 tsp. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. 'Pop Rocks' candy to each packet. This one is fun for celebration days, such as birthdays.

Bart-man Oatmeal - add 2 Tbsp. 'Butterfinger B.B's' candies to each packet.
Photobucket

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

all sounds good to me.

l/p

Anonymous said...

Pop Rocks in oatmeal?!?!?!?!?! Now I have heard it all! What great fun!!

Emily said...

Boy! I have one busy week and I fall very behind in everyone's blogs :-) I just spent the last 20 minutes or so catching up with you . .lot's of birthday's, homecomings and lot of beef! I wish I could find a cow like that to buy . . .I would love to fill my freezer with all that good healthy meat!

Anonymous said...

Exploding oatmeal!? That's a mess I won't try! lol -Darshia

Susan Silver Dill said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this recipe! Do you mind if I pass it on, with kudos to you, of course! Blessings.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Yeah - I thought exploding oatmeal was a bit much to TRY for - I mean it happens around here quite regularly all on its own. ::snort::

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Silverdill - is that YOU, Susan? It's got to be my fellow picklish, crunchy, homeschooling friend. LOL

Yes - pass it along. I merged several recipes so it really isn't mine to begin with. Isn't it funny that my kids are happy to have something "normal" like instant oatmeal?

Deja said...

And I was just looking for something to do with my 25# of oatmeal I just bought...

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

There you go deja...and cookies...and granola....

Susan Silver Dill said...

Hello! Yes, It's me, Susan!! I changed my "handle" because people thought I was a High School art mom, not a Home School art mom... these non-homeschooler's just don't understand.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

LOL, Susan. The rest of the world just needs to learn our language.

The Ahlers family said...

I saw you on SHS compiling these but I had NO idea you were going to pass it along in a coherent manner for all us lazy folks! Thanks for taking the time...my youngest would LIVE off prepackaged oatmeal at least now I can be sure what the heck is in there!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

LOL I put all recipes I want to keep on my blog in case the house burns down and my computers crash at the same time....I'll have an easy back up. LOL

Cynthia said...

Now how did I miss this recipe thread? YUM! And, I bet it's a LOT cheaper than the packets. I think I need to make some of these.

D said...

Oh I'm so glad you shared this!
I can't wait to make these. If I have oatmeal packets in the house my kids will 'self feed'! :-D I don't like to keep them around because i don't like the unhealthy ingredients. Now I can serve a healthy version.