Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Minestrone with Italian Sausage Courtesy of Taste of Home Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 lb bulk Italian sausage (I used my turkey sausage)
1 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium leek (white portion only)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 med zucchini, cut 1/2 in pieces
1/4 lb fresh green beans
6 C beef broth
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano & garlic
3 C shredded cabbage (I left out)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can garbanzo beans (I used C of cooked, fresh)
1/2 c uncooked small pasta shells
3 T minced fresh parsley (I used dried)
1/3 C grated Parmesan cheese

*I used more spices....and a touch of honey...season to taste.

Cook sausage & onion over med heat. drain. Stir in carrots, celery, leek and garlic; cook for 3 min. Add zucchini and green beans; cook 2 minutes longer.

Stir in broth, tomatoes, cabbage, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil Reduce heat. Cover; simmer 45 minutes.

Return to a boil. Stir in garbanzo beans, pasta and parsley. Cook until pasta is tender 6 - 9 minutes.

Serve with cheese - makes about 3 quarts. I doubled - freezes well. I really liked this but it could be because I was able to use so MUCH out of my veggie crisper. LOL

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy!

Jen

Gilda said...

That looks fabulous. Off to make chili for my kids tonight!

Emily said...

Oh! I am putting this on my list as soon as we get our real first cool front! Yummo!

Cynthia said...

That looks SO YUMMY!

Debbie said...

Oh, this looks yummy! Now the fall is here, we try and have some type of soup or stew once a week. I'm going to add this one to our "try" list.

Thanks for sharing.