Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Courtesy of King Arthur Whole Grain Baking
Yield - 4 doz
Baking Temp 375*
Baking time - 12 - 13 minutes

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

{I don't know that I'd follow the directions precisely next time - but I wanted to give this recipe every chance to be good - so I complied. ::snort:: My few adaptations in ()}

3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) melted butter
1 C packed brown sugar (Rapadura)
2 tsp vanilla (T)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp espresso powder (opt - didn't use)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 c light corn syrup (agave nectar - though honey could be used)
1 T cider vinegar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 C whole wheat flour (hard white or red)
3 CUPS chocolate chips

Melt butter, stir in sugar. Heat until mixture bubbles. Remove and cool to lukewarm.

Stir in vanilla, salt, baking soda, espresso powder, baking powder, corn syrup and vinegar. Add the eggs. Beat well after each addition., then add flour, stir to combine. Finally mix in the chips. REFRIGERATE the dough, covered, overnight.

Preheat oven.

Bake until just brown around the edges , 12 - 13 min. Remove cookies from oven and cool completely on the pan, loosen after 5 minutes.

*My other new favorite cookies are great, these are chewier because there is no oatmeal in them. The family is split as to which they like best.

4 comments:

Renee said...

Your cookies look so yummy. On Tuesday we started to make cookies and then got lazy and threw the batter in a pan and made chocolate chip bars - they were not as good as individual cookies.

Emily said...

Those look yummy and and perfect for a nice fall day! Add a cup of tea or hot cocoa with that and it's just about perfect :-)

Linda said...

I'm assuming you ground the grain for these, DeEtta. But I'm also assuming that you could use King Arthur already ground flour since this is their recipe. Is that correct? Grinding grain is one thing that has had to go in my life. I'd like to try this recipe, though, if it'd work with the KA flour I can buy in the store

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

All the recipes in this cookbook are written using King Arthur flour. Yes, I ground but that's because I have cheap grains and I'm cheap. LOL The kids love to grind grain too. LOL

I've had to adapt them to use things that I use - I don't use sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, all purpose white flour - but they still work well.

I figure they would have a vested interest in making sure their whole grian recipes are good! LOL