Sunday, October 28, 2007

Blessing Mix

It's amazing to think how long some of my online friendships have lasted. I believe it's been about 10 years since I first read about this little mix from Suzanne R (Military Homeschoolers Online).... Michelle, (also a MHOer) has posted about this on her blog and it jogged my memory. I need memory joggers more often than I did 10 years ago when I joined MHO. ::snort::

It seems to me that this goes right along with the 30 days of Thanksgiving . I plan to make a bunch of these up and pass them out to mailmen, dentists, teachers, hairdressers, Bible Study ladies etc. Thanks for the idea Michelle! Ladies, Michelle has a lot of really great ideas for celebrating Thanksgiving on her blog - a way to take "offerings" all month and more...check her out.

These directions are taken from Organized Christmas - you can find directions, tags, photos here

Thanksgiving Blessing Mix Recipe
Ingredients:
2 cups Bugles brand corn snacks

2 cups small pretzels

1 cup candy corn

1 cup dried fruit bits or raisins

1 cup peanuts or sunflower seeds

1 cup M&Ms-brand chocolate candy

16 Hershey's-brand chocolate kisses

Directions:
In a large bowl, gently mix all ingredients except Hershey's Kisses.

Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup Thanksgiving Blessing Mix in small cellophane treat bags. Add one Hershey's Kiss to each bag. Close bag with chenille stem or twist-tie.

Print 4 copies of the Thanksgiving Blessings Mix printable gift tagor hand-write your own tags with the following wording.

Cut out tags, and attach one to each bag.
Makes 16 Blessing Mix gift bags. WARNING THESE ARE NOT FEINGOLD FRIENDLY! LOL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanksgiving Blessing Mix
Bugles: Shaped like a cornucopia or Horn of Plenty, a symbol of our nation's abundance.

Pretzels: Arms folded in prayer, a freedom sought by those who founded our country.

Candy corn: Sacrifices of the Pilgrims' first winter. Food was so scarce that settlers survived on just a few kernels of corn a day.

Nuts or seeds: Promise of a a future harvest, one we will reap only if seeds are planted and tended with diligence.

Dried fruits: Harvest gifts of our bountiful land.

M&Ms: Memories of those who came before us to guide us to a blessed future.

Hershey's Kiss: The love of family and friends that sweetens our lives.

If the link above doesn't work - this one will take you right to the page to print your tags - courtesy of Michelle. Blessing Mix Tags


PS - I know this sort of stuff is all over the internet but I'm trying to get our traditions and resources in ONE SPOT...and this blog is IT. I'm also hoping that seeing this will motivate me to follow through this year - maybe I'll even find a way to make some FG friendly mixes - but now that the co-op is defunct I'm not sure where to buy sundrops....::sigh::

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm posting our holiday traditions on my blog for the same reason you are. I do have a *holiday* binder where I keep the traditions on paper but became almost panic stricken when I couldn't find all of The Blessing Box papers last week.

When I read your post about the 30 days of Thanksgiving I immediately thought how well the Blessing Mix would go along with that. The kids get such a kick out of seeing the recipients joy filled faces when we give them their goody bag and hand written note of how they touched our lives that year.

Emily said...

I love the blessing mix idea. I have been doing the 30 days of Thanksgiving and I think this would be a great idea to do these together.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

A binder is a great idea - but I have a recipe binder and several recipes have gone MIA - I'm trying to put our favorites on the blog.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Emily - aren't they a natural?

Cynthia said...

I saw the blessing mix on the organized christmas website - don't know if it's the same one or not, but I saw it there a few weeks ago and thought it would be a fun idea! Glad to see others picked up on it as well. The organized christmas website has a lot of ideas that aren't just christmas related..... I'm glad I rediscovered it after not visiting it for several years.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Oh yeah, Cindy - this has been on Organized Christmas for years and years...or at least the first time I heard of it and printed it all out was about 10 years ago and I THINK it was the same lady Cindy Towne or something close to that. Anyway - this is an oldie but a grandie.

all in the family said...

DeEtta,
My boys have their own business making homemade dog treats. We get our celophane bags from www.creativegiftpackaging.com They are the cheapest that we found! HTH

Beth (SHS)