Thursday, September 13, 2007

School Today
I can't believe it. Things are clicking. It made a huge difference to move Nolan around on a few things and let Arielle speed ahead on extra Lit readers. I decided to let her read some of the dialectic lit in addition to her assignments, as she is somewhat bored with the Upper Grammar lit... We finished all the TOG for the week, yesterday(including literature and history SUPPLEMENTS). That left today for library books I'd picked up that looked fun and hands on projects.
I even cooked DINNER this week. ::snort:: I'm getting it. It took the first week of panic. The second week to adjust Jamin. The 3rd week to adjust Nolan and Arielle....we're getting it.
We each made a cartouche. We decided to follow the Egyptian practice of leaving out the vowels...which greatly sped up this project. LXNDR is much easier than ALEXANDER.
They all liked this project...even Stacia
RLL - Arielle

Stacia kept saying, "Mommy, I dit, I dit!" I looked...she was playing and eating clay. She was saying "I did it".

We also made apple mummies. I wanted to do something to bring the whole salt/drying thing alive and I think this will do it. We'll compare the apples at 2, 4 and 6 weeks. I liked this project as it required NO harming of animals...and no purchasing of dolls. ::snort::

Hmmm....all these hands on for Zander and he looks less than thrilled, doesn't he? ::snort::

I'm a bit skeptical about these apples on a plate lasting in TX for 6 weeks - seems like ant bait, but they've not found the pyramids yet. We have plans for more fun things next week - and maybe tomorrow afternoon.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm sure it is a great feeling having it all come together. Way to go!

We did the same thing with Bess...letting her read the Rhetoric lit selections in addition to the dialetic last year. Those voracious readers!

Can't wait to see the apple mummies.

Anonymous said...

De'Etta -
I love all these great activities you have the kids doing. I would love to know what resources you are using - where you are finding them. Are they all in TOG? I like the fact that all of the activities are engaging, but seem fairly "Mom friendly"!

I love your blog and am continually encouraged and inspired by you and your ministry. Thanks for everything.
Laura in MO
http://web.mac.com/lmjmann/iWeb/LifeAtWillisCreekRanch
http://web.mac.com/lmjmann/iWeb/WillisCreekSchool

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Wow - Laura thanks. I'll look at let you know what books I'm finding these things in. Many are from TOG books....yes...I pick the MOM friendly tasks. LOL

Kelly said...

I'm glad you're getting it all together! How do you do apple mummies??

That is one huge knife Jamin?? (I get the boys, other than Cy, mixed up) has there lol.

Angi said...

You are such a fun teacher! What great activities!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Kelly - I answered on SHS but here in case others wonder....cut the two apples in 1/2....pull out seeds if your kids want to pull out the innards, leave one apple on a plate. YOu'll compare later. Put salt in the bottom of a container that will hold the other apple. put in the apple halves. Cover with salt. Put lid on. Set on a shelf and compare at 2, 4 and 6 weeks. Google "apple mummies". LOL Also, my recipe said that baking soda was optional so I left it out - most others included it. If it isn't working in a couple of weeks, I plan to add baking soda (I was out) and go from there.

Ah - that's Nolan with the knife - and it's the one I lopped the end of my thumb off with - but it's about the only knife I have.

Jodi said...

Looks like a fun day. We aren't in a good routine here yet, too many changes this year, but I hope to be soon!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

You WILL be soon Jodi.

Cynthia said...

Looks like you're doing great. I doubt we'll hit our stride until mid October since I still have too many undone house projects to finish up before we get rolling really good with school.