Thursday, August 09, 2007

"Spaghetti Sauce"
This is a versatile sauce that can be used in lasagna, spaghetti, manicotti, linquine etc. Freezes WELL, makes about a gal - 16 - 18 servings. I triple or quadruple this and freeze it in quart bags (children's lunch) or gal bags ( family meal).

*1 lb sweet Italian Sausage
*1 1/2 lbs of Ground Beef Chuck
3 large yellow onions, peeled and minced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
4 tsp sea salt
2 T oregano
1 T basil
1 tsp chili powder
1/3 tsp crushed dired hot red chili peppers
1 (8 oz) can mushrooms (or fresh)
1 (1qt 14 oz) can tomato juice
4 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
1 Cup Water
Honey - as needed to take away any BITE
Crushed fennel (opt - I add but it isn't called for)

Tips:
*I use 2 1/2 - 3 lbs of ground turkey, I also adjust spices as needed (usually more garlic and basil)
*I've tried various things to help with the fumes of all those onions - but nothing really works.
Saute meat, onions, and garlic. Drain. Mix remaining ingredients, simmer 2 hours.

1 Cup serving about 195 calories - 3/4 C serving about 175 calories

9 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

I'm going to give this a try. Sounds really good and I need to get some in the freezer.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I love having this in the freezer.

Debbie said...

Yum...this sounds really good. We've been wanting to make up large batches of sauce since we started making our own. We'll be giving this recipe a try.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is a Loverly photo of you.
Surely you could win a contest with this one - not sure WHAT contest that might be...

Stephanie said...

You CRACK me up!!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Liz - that would be the "fly from outer space look alike" contest. LOL

Emily said...

I can't wait to try you sauce. . .I am looking for a new recipe! Love your picture too!

cvdmvega said...

Is this a spicy recipe?...I tried one of emeril's recipes...LOL...ds10 spent half an hour trying to get his tongue's fire out...I've never seen bread go so fast...we put a ton of cheese on it...dh thought it was pretty good. In regard to the onions try placing lit a candle where you are working with the onions...although I definitly think that the goggles are a doable solution....ds would have loved it.
Thanks
Carol Jo

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Carol,

It's not spicy! Give it a try. LOL