Friday, August 24, 2007

Friendship in Proverbs 24

24:21 - 22 My son, fear the Lord and the king; do not associate with those who are given to change, for their calamity will rise suddenly, and who knows the ruin that comes from both of them.

~There you have it! Scriptural justification for all who want to avoid close friendships with us military types ::snort::

~Seriously, I believe this is talking about avoiding those who change their minds, their hearts, their beliefs constantly....KWIM?

~Again the "associate" is the same word used in Proverbs 20 and would denote a close relationship. I tend to reserve the title "friend" for those who are close to me. I think the term is thrown around a lot lately and we've lost the meaning of a "true, bosom buddy". I'm seeing through this jaunt, that there ARE levels of friendships/relationships.....so this verse is another that would apply to those "meddling, mingling, intimate, close" relationships.

24:28 - Do not be a witness against your neighbor without cause, and do not decieve with your lips. (29) don't return tit for tat.

~These verses focus on MY actions and attitudes

~I must be careful not to be deceptive in my speech - in any way. . . be that through "outright" lies, exaggeration, fanciful embellishment of stories (unless others know that I am doing so)....

No comments: