Thursday, August 23, 2007

FRIENDSHIP IN PROVERBS 23

Today's Proverb is full of more characteristics to search for in a friend - and to pray for in myself. Again, I believe that we can be "friendly" with folks who have these characteristics....but that they should not be my most intimate friends. I'm still not sure that these are commands that MUST be obeyed at all costs...but they are certainly wise and I see the benefits of following them....and the character traits mentioned are surely ones that will result as I surrender daily and walk by the Spirit.

23:6 - 8 Do not eat the bread of a selfish man, or desire his delicacies for as he thinks within himself so he is. He says to you, eat and drink, but his heart is not with you.You will vomit up the morsel you have eaten, and waste your compliments.

23: 9 Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, he will despise the wisdom of your words.

I must be careful that *I* do not despise the wise words that others share with me.

23:20 Do not be with heavy drinkers of wine or with gluttonous eater of meat

(Note no where in the original Hebrew does it mention CHOCOLATE!) ::snort::

No comments: