Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dad's Night

I noticed that we were all dragging this a.m. I looked around at 10:00 a.m. and I was still in my workout clothes and all children were still in p.j.s.

I commented, "We must ALL be tired this a.m. We're lazy."

I immediately was checked in my heart and followed up with, "Poor Dad, he must be tired too but he doesn't get the chance to stay home and spend the morning in his pjs. " We set about to make TONIGHT Dad's Night. I called and asked what his favorite dinner was. He said manicotti. This surprised me. It's one of my easy meals. I've not made it often in the past year because I can't find whole grain manicotti shells or even jumbo shells....but I made it tonight. I could tell Mike wondered what was up.

Later we called and asked if he'd rather: 1. watch Red Green on the small screen, 2. watch Red Green with the movie projector, 3. Read a book or 4. something else. He said he'd like to put his feet up. That's easy.

Armed with this info we planned. We bought a bouquet.
When he got home, he put his feet up with the newspaper and Gatoraide (not a regular around here these days).
We found a card that said, "Wow - they don't even make cards for occasions like this". We all wrote notes of appreciation for his hard work that makes it possible for us to live on one income, for me to stay home and school the children, for us to buy treats etc.
We ate his meal - complete with manicotti and watermelon. I continue to be the world's worst watermelon picker but I get an A+ for trying. ::snort::

He napped while we cleaned up - and enjoyed his whoppers (a non-FG favorite that is rare these days).
Then he suggested a walk. Cool - I'll post photos from the walk later.

Back at home Mike played Rag Time.....
Which always leads to dancing!
We ate ice cream and called it a day. We were all reminded once again what a blessing and a gift it is to have a godly husband/father.

P.S. Lest you think we are one of those "perfect" families, Mike admitted to thinking for a split second, when asked about his favorite dinner and then his choice of activity, that we were going to make a big push to keep kitty tonight. When he mentioned that, I asked if I'd ever done that before...he laughed and said it only took a second for him to tell himself, "No - if De'Etta wants to push for the kitty she'll just push without the big dinner. " ::snort:: I promised him years ago that I would try not to manipulate him. He requested that instead of manipulating him I speak my mind and skip the games...and I've tried to live up to that request. ::snort::

16 comments:

Debbie said...

What a great way to honor Mike. It is nice that you appreciate him and I'm sure he sends that appreciation right back at you all!

Cynthia said...

How nice! I bet he really appreciated that!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I need to do this more often - for various kids too.

Anonymous said...

What excellent fun!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

It's humbling that I don't take the time to get the children involved in appreciating Mike and the lifestyle he's led us to often enough!

It was GREAT fun and I plan to do this for various children etc in the upcoming months!

Kelly said...

What an awesome night! I'll need to remember that for a Friday when Doug is able to come home early :)

Michelle said...

De'Etta, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Just a few days ago the kids and I thanked Wayne for working so hard so we can live this lifestyle that is so important to us. I'm going to *borrow* your idea and I love the idea of doing it for individual kids too.

So glad the little kitty found a good home.

Anonymous said...

Sis: Way to go!!

You are your father's daughter. Just last week he took me out, bought us a dryer, and even went to a MOVIE with me and all at his suggestion.

You make me proud Girl!!!

love/prayers

Emily said...

What a great idea! I just love your family! You all come up with the best ideas that lead to being great memories for your whole family!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Emily - it's the Holy Spirit - does that sound to whacko? I didn't wake up thinking "let's see what can we do special today". I woke up thinking "why does that man keep me awake snoring every night?" He's dead tired. LOL

Lisa in Jax said...

What a great idea! I think we need one of these days very soon. We've been trying to honor others lately and it would be a great way to show it.LOL

Unknown said...

Love the idea! I need to do this in our house as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

Karen in MT (SHS)

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet of you all! I really should do something like that for "my Mike"....

Jen in Az.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I'm smiling as I imagine a rash of happy, appreciated hubbies. LOL

Kristine said...

My fil taught me a lot about fruit/veggie shopping just because it was fun for Robert and I to sometimes tag along with him. (Hmm, I'm imagining a blog post here.)

BUT I digress. You probably eat a lot of watermelon, but you might consider choosing precut. Look for the flesh to look almost like it has a white frost on the surface of the red.

I don't typically buy the giant melons because we can't eat it that fast. Personally, I'm not much of a watermelon fan, but I sometimes will eat those little "trueheart," round shaped watermelons. They look like a small basketball. We can get them on sale for $2.50-$3 each during the summer.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Kristine - I'll be checking for that blog story. LOL