Friday, June 08, 2007

Book Review: *The Seven Pillars of Health by Dr. Don Colbert*

I first saw this book during the holiday season. I began asking if anyone had read it and no one had. Then, Dr. Colbert came to a local church one weekend. His wife hosted a seminar the next day. Church leaders were invited. My friend Tricia and I went. (*Note Tricia is not Trish and doesn't like to be called Trish either - ah my confusion). Advanced copies of this book were given to everyone who attended.

I read this book to "keep the conversation going", as my dietitian says. She explained that it is important for me to keep the principles of healthy eating in the forefront of my mind...otherwise I tend to skip meals, cut portions, fast for 3 or 4 days on end....that sort of thing. Many of you have read my journey.

I started this book - but certainly wasn't making the expected progress in it. ::snort:: Until I put it on my Spring Reading Thing List.

My views expressed in this review about some of the theology I caught glimpses of hold true.....BUT there is a lot of great info in this book. I didn't find as many annoying references to "read this book I wrote" in this book - but it could be because it is a bigger book and so they were more spread out - or it could be because I simply let my eyes bounce when I saw a recommendation coming. ::snort::

Dr. Colbert says that if we have two pillars out of whack - we'll be "ok". When we get 3 or more out of sync we end up ill and such. The pillars are: Water, Sleep and Rest, Living Food, Exercise, Detoxification, Nutritional Supplements, and Freedom From Stress.

The chapter on Nutritional Supplements was FULL of information. I really don't do supplements. After reading his thoughts I see WHY the person eating the SAD (standard American diet) would need supplements. However, over and over he says that this is found in perfect balance in fruit, this is found in green veggies...and it seems to me that if you are following the principles in *What the Bible Says About Healthy Living* you may not need such a full range of supplements. AND if your dietitian has you eating 10 - 13 servings of produce a day to lower your cholesterol I'm quite sure you're getting all the phytonutrients, antioxidants and etc that you need. Of course, Dr. Colbert would say that eating so much non-organic produce is actually going to make me ill because of the pesticides. ARGH. (Note on that above link- I know longer follow the principles of Thin Within to a tee - because I was never eating for days on end and killed my metabolism).

Dr. Colbert makes a big push for organics. I get it - in my mind. It's the pocket book that isn't getting it. LOL Well - there are a lot of little things that he may be right on, but I'm not quite ready to implement...

However, this is an easy format - one chapter a day for 6 weeks. This book also has a DVD series and is meant to be used in a small group format.

The statistics here were eye-opening. Statistics show that for the first time in our history our children (statistically) have a lower life expectancy than their parents because of diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes that young, young children are getting.

One of my favorite lines goes something like this.....if you have a headache you don't have a "Tylenol deficiency"....if you can't sleep you don't have a "sleeping pill deficiency"....I think of that often and it has helped me to evaluate choices I make....except I still think Benadryl is a wonder. ::snort::

9 comments:

Diann said...

Maybe you DO have a Benadryl deficiency? I love those lines too.

Trish said...

I guess I'll add this one to my reading list ~ Roger just got some not-so-great news from the doc after his flight physical concerning cholesterol and his prostate exam/bloodwork. Anywhoo, I've been pushing for healthier eating for about 5 or 6 years now ~ maybe Roger will jump on board the ship this time! :)

BTW, is there a chocolate deficiency? Because I'm pretty sure I have that.......LOL

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

LOL Diann -

Trish - this book does have lots of easy to implement, practical advice....

I liked the What the Bible book better because he has PRINCIPLES and tons of documentation on how God was right all along from a scientific point of view.....

Dr. Colbert - in my opinion does tend to jump on some faddish wagons...but it was a good book. LOL

Praying for Roger. I found switching to 10 - 13 servings of produce DID up my HDL - they told me to keep it up......oh and dark chocolate every day is something Dr. Colbert recommends! LOL

Trish said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention ~ one of my friends who is a strong Christian nutritionist has recommended several of the books you've mentioned regarding food and healthy eating. She tells me if you soak your fruits and vegetables in a bowl of water (pure, filtered water of course) with a couple of drops of grapeseed oil, it'll take all the nasty stuff off of the outside (pesticides, wax, whatever else they put on it)......just food for thought (and absolutely NO pun intended!).

Jen said...

Very interesting. I may have to check this one out. Yes, I am struggling with the supplement thing. I am NOT a supplement or even vitamin taker. I believe in getting it naturally! But the biomedical treatments we are considering are supplment based. I have a hard time balancing that. I know their point is that our alphabet children aren't processing the nutrients correctly, but I am still praying on whether I want them taking a bunch of pills and potions!

I have started to embrace that "not a tylenol deficiency" with Jessica. Since the doctor's have been no help, I am trying to concentrate on making sure she is hydrated, eats well, etc. Hoping that that is what it will take to make her headaches go away.

Kelly said...

I want to add this to my list. Guess I'll see if it is at the library. It sounds very interesting and right up my alley!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Oh Trish - I'm still so bad. We eat BUCKETS of raw produce around here and I dont' wash it. I've got to begin to do something.

Filtered water I have - grapeseed oil I can get. LOL

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Jen - the book WAS interesting and I don't really doubt a lot of what he says - there were just a few things I'm not ready to embrace. LOL

He really talks about water and explains why a shortage can cause all sorts of things...headaches, back aches....

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Kelly - hope your library has it. Hey - if you all can't find it - you can borrow my marked up copy. I can't put it on PBS and I can't resell it either.

I need to keep it though to write things for the produce co-op newsletter....um...well let me know and we'll see what we can do if you can't find it.