Saturday, April 14, 2007

SPRING READING TIME

 (books read in red ink)

This is hilarious! Don't you love getting wonderful ideas? Isn't it even better when you find others doing the same thing?

I set a goal for reading shortly after Mike returned. I had somehow accumulated many 1/2 read books on the nightstands (his and mine), as well as new series waiting to be started. I had much thinking time while out camping. I decided I would create a "spring reading" list.

I began to finish books that had been sitting around and to set some goals of fun reading to help me weather the "homeschool burn out season". My lists include pure twaddle, as well as books that reflect my current season of life (parenting youngsters, youth, healthy living, homeschooling...) You'll note my list contains a few books that I've posted reviews for in the past couple of weeks. I limited it to books that I have read since spring began. The majority of books on my spring list are ones that I've gotten from Paperback Swap and I need to READ them so that I can repost them. I think that's the point of the "swap"....currently I have stacks of new books to read staring at me day and night. I've included two fiction series from PBS and probably will NOT read them all. I simple chose two to START reading through my PBS stacks. I have books from JoAnna Carl, Nancy Ahterton, Donna Andrews and Ann B Ross still waiting. I will NOT get all these books read...but as my son says, "it's good to have a list anyway."

Isn't that Spring Reading Thing the cutest graphic? It appears there is a "reading challenge" going on among bloggers. It's too late to qualify for the "prize" but never to late to participate. You can read more about the Spring Reading Thing at Callapidder Days. You can also grab the graphic and leave a link to your list. Basically, you post your list of spring reading, put a link at her blog, and post a few book reviews...all things I'm already doing. There is no pressure to finish all the books on your list.

My Spring Reading Thing List

Health
The 7 pillars of Health - Don Colbert, MD
Baby Catcher - Chronicles of a Modern Midwife - Peggy Vincent

Parenting
The Age of Opportunity - Paul David TrippThe Out of Sync Child - Carol Stock Kranowitz, M.A.
The Ministry of Motherhood - Sally Clarkson


Homeschooling
A Mom Just Like You - Vickie and Jayme Farris
Teaching the Trivium - Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn
Biography/Auto-Biography
Fragments of Isabella - Isabella LeitnerSaving the Fragments - Isabella Leitner
Molly Brown - Unraveling the Myth - Kristen Iversen
Nicholas & Alexandra - Robert MassieDietrich Bonhoeffer - Michael Van Dyke

Fiction
Midwives - Chris Bohjalian
The King of Reid - Jamin G
Yada, Yada Prayer Group Get's Down - Neta Jackson
Nursery Crimes - Ayelet Waldman
A Playdate with Death - Ayelet WaldmanThe Big Nap - Ayelet Waldman
Tears of the Giraffe - Alexander McCall SmithMorality for Beautiful Girls - AM Smith
The Kalahari Typing School for Men - AM Smith
The Full Cupboard of Life - AM Smith
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies - AM Smith
Yada Yada Prayer Group - Neta Jackson
The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real - Neta Jackson
The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough - Neta Jackson
The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught - Neta Jackson


Visual Spring Reading List...

Ah Hem - another son asked why I don't just read the Bible through three times this spring instead of trying to read all these. Welllllllll....I am also doing Esther and I am reading my Bible - but those aren't part of a Spring Thing - those are a Life Thing!

5 comments:

Debbie said...

oh, oh...this sounds like so much fun! I'm going to work up my list tomorrow. I have stacks and stacks, but I guess I'll have to limit it. Is there a time limit...like before summer? I'll have to check out the link!

Thanks for sharing.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Mar 21st - June 21st....

But I know there is a fall challenge too....and no reason we can't create a summer challenge if she doesn't do one....

Your list can be as big or as small as you like.

Cynthia said...

I've seen the spring reading list thing on many blogs I've been visiting while waiting for my blog to be redesigned. I LOVED the little icon thing... I haven't spent any time adding things to my current blog's sidebar and such, but I have a whole list of things ready on the new one and a book list is one of them... still figuring out how they link back to a set spot though so I can keep updating it.... Anyway.. I LOVE the icon and can hardly wait to put it on my new blog.

Jodi said...

That's quite a pile! I don't think I'll participate though. I can never remember to change to books in my sidebar until I've read several others. like to read them but I guess I'm not enjoying linking them or recording themin some way. LOL

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Jodi - you don't HAVE to update your list, link them, review them etc. I have my own side bar lists that I've had all year and that's what I plan to keep. I linked the post about the challenge and my original list so I can find it quickly if I want to...but you don't even have to link those.

All you have to do is "plan" to read - you don't even have to finish them all. My sort of challenge! ::snort::