Saturday, March 24, 2007

*Nursery Crimes* by Ayelet Waldman

This series was recommended on SHS. I have ordered several books from the series from PaperBack Swap (link in side bar - somewhere!).
From the back cover: "A public defender turned stay-at-home mom, Juliet Applebaum is bored with play dates and trips to the park - so near the end of her second pregnancy, she gets off the mommy track to track down a murderer." That about sums up the gist of the book and probably series.
What I liked about the book: It is a quick read. Parts of it were undeniably funny. I like mysteries and guessing endings. It did spur me to consider how I truly feel about being a stay-at-home mom - read comments above.
What I didn't like about this book: Ayelet, herself is a public defender, now stay-at-home mom. So far, so good. One would think her book would portray the importance of being around for the early years of your child's life, as this is the choice she has personally made. This book, however, left me with the impression that the author believes it is impossible to be fulfilled as stay-at-home mom unless you have something you are doing for someone other than your family. Her husband tells her he's o.k. with her turning PI because it "isn't enough for you to do things for us - you seem happier doing for others". Honestly, what normal husband is going to think it's o.k. for an 8 month pregnant wife to follow suspects with a 2 yo in the car? ::snort::
While I've read critiques that praise Ms. Waldman for taking a "fresh, raw, realistic" look at the stay-at-home mom....I felt that she gave a negative view of the life of a stay-at-home mom. Well....hmmm....she does have those heart warming moments when she melts at comments of a 2 yo. But the mania about pre-school, the need to "do more"etc....just not an accurate portrayal of stay-at-home moms I know. How many of us go solve a murder because we are bored with "play dates"? The underlying message of "you've got to do something outside your family or you'll go crazy" irritated me. I found the author's blog "bad-mother" and what I read there makes me even more sure that her view of motherhood is vastly different from mine.....
BUT I will read another book in the series. I did enjoy the plot line. I did enjoy the funny moments of mothering. I did enjoy reading about someone who was HEAVY with child - when I wasn't. ::snort:: It is a quick and easy read. CBS is looking to turn the series into a mysteries series. Maybe they already have. Has anyone seen it? I'm guessing it would sort of undermine the value of being ONLY a stay-at-home Mom - but I'd love to be proved wrong on this one.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm just about finished with this book (thanks for not spoiling the ending :)

I am having the same feelings as you are, De'Etta. That this book somehow portrays it as wrong to be and ENJOY being a SAHM and JUST that! I did laugh at their hype of pre-school. It is just so ridiculous to me lol.

I'll probably continue this series since it is a genre that I like. I am also plugging through the PennDutch series. I'm to the book where she finds out she's not really married. Crazy!

OK....I am supposed to be getting ready for prayer group tomorrow. I have to feed 40+ people. I did make 10 lbs. of taco meat and 2 lbs. of black beans for tacos and burritos. I also made 2 pineapple upside down cakes from the Sue Gregg cookbook. I hope it is good because it was a lot more work than open a mix and add a few things LOL. My honey will be happy for the effort since it is his favorite :)

I hope you're feeling better. I didn't read far enough in your blog to see if you even mentioned that lol.

~Kelly

Jodi said...

I'm REALLY enjoying the "lightness" of this series and the humor. Yet I had a few of the same thoughts as you. She doesn't quite get stay at home motherhood.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Jodi - perfect that's what I wanted to say. I like that this series is not full of nasty language or sexual innuendos. I like that it is fun and light and humours...but I don't like her view of stay at home moms.

Lisa in Jax said...

I had a hard time getting through the book. I guess it's because I get this particular view from just about everyone I meet that I just couldn't take reading it too.lol