Sunday, February 18, 2007

Summary of the exercise calorie part of class - for Kelly.

~If you weigh more than 150 strive to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week. If you weigh under 150 strive to lose .5 - 1 lb a week.

~Goal is to expend 300 - 500 calories a day in exercise. You want to accumulate a 1800-2400 cal deficit per week due to exercise.

~Be more concerned with fat loss rather than weight loss.

~Concentrate enerrgy towards aerobic/endurance workouts. If resistance training is done, then do circuit resistance training. Stay away from lifting "heavy weights" during the accelerated fat loss phase (heavy weights will stimulate increased appetite - which I need but one thing at a time LOL).

~Keep a log/journal of exercise, measurements and he said to weigh daily (very different than my previous programs and I'm not sure I will) because that will help you see how your body reacts to various foods/activities. That DOES make sense...for instance if you gain 3 lbs every time you eat pizza or lasagna - that would be an indicator not to eat those things often. LOL

~Make exercise fun!

~A deficit of 3500 calories (through nutrition and exercise) in a week will result in a lb lost. So for instance I "should" be eating 2100 to maintain my current weight.....eating 1200-1400 would give me a deficit of at least 4900 calories, add work out sessions to that (I burn approx 400 cal a session) and I have a deficit of lots.....but for ME I will not lose 3 - 5 lbs on this because of my thyroid - I do lose 1 - 2 lbs. LOL And when I ate below 1200 calories a day I only lost 1 lb a month. LOL

Energy (Caloric) Expenditure of Exercise:

Here's the formula - determine the metabolic equivalent intensity (here you need the MET list he handed out - if you want to give me an activity I'll look up the number for you).

Take the METS - subtract 1 (what you need to LIVE) x 3.5 (oxygen) x weight in kilograms* divide by 200 =calories purned per minute x by minutes trained....

So - my 45 min step (6 inch)
8.5 - 1 (7.5) x 3.5 x67 / 200 x 45 = 395.7 per session - the calories change with time and my weight.....

This formula allows me know not what the "average" person burns at the "average" intenisty but what I burn at my weight and intensity and if I do 30 minute or 42 minutes - I can still figure it out.

Jamin and Jared are enjoying this. LOL

*determine your weight in kilograms by taking your weight in lbs and divide by 2.2

9 comments:

Romany said...

Hi DeEtta,

After months of no exercise, I exercised (cardio workout) 5 times this week for 40-45 mins each time. And I have put on 5 lbs.

Do your charts explain that?{g}

Dorothy
thinking exercise just makes me more hungry, so I'd be better off lying on the sofa for 45 minutes each day.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Yep - it has GOT to be that you increased intake of calories. LOL This is what he suggested anyway when someone asked this very question. LOL

Anonymous said...

That is very interesting. It sounds rather much like algebra and I need to wake up before even thinking about the calculations LOL.

I usually do Curves circuit or brisk walking. So what is the MET for those things?

Thanks so much for typing that out! I've figured out many points I've earned when exercising, but never knew what the caloric equivalent would be.

I am going to start using www.nutridiary.com for a little bit to calculate things for a while. My weight loss has slowed way down since adding in 1 cooked meal a day. So frustrating. I know I'm eating good calories and not too many. Health problems surely hinder my weight loss too.

~Kelly

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Kelly - tell me how many miles you walk in how many minutes and I can give you an accourate METS number to finish the rest...and I'll check the circuit number....it's there. LOL

Gotta get Stacia down first.

What I like about this is that I want to KNOW how many calories I burn and before now that left me with machines being the only option....now I can figure it. LOL

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Kelly

Circuit Training - MET 8

Brisk Walking - again terrian? Speed????

3mph - MET 3.3

3.5mph - level surface, brisk walk MET 3.8

3.5 mph - uphill MET 6

Anonymous said...

Thanks...been reading and will try to calc mine too since I'm also doing Curves. This is cool.

Anonymous said...

Sis,

The burned cals equation has been eye opening. I'm not burning as many cals at Curves as I thought. I will have to add ~30 minutes @ 3.5 mph uphill on our treadmill to meet my goal of 500 exercise cals burned/day! Maybe I'll do it before I go to Curves and then my muscles will be warmed up...Or would it be better after Curves? Not a clue...

Thank you for sharing this equation.

Anonymous said...

Thanks De'Etta,

I usually walk 2 miles in 28 min. or 4 miles in a little over an hour. But I've never clocked myself in the snow, so I am sure it is slower going. We'll see tonight since it will be near 30 and the snow is about 2' deep.

I'll figure out that formula now :)

~Kelly

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Kelly - snow would not be considered level terrain....when you figure it out let me know and I'll see if there's a better number....they have the speed and then some mention of terrain.....

obviously HERE it's basically level. LOL