Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Surrounded By Joy




I said last night that I was surrounded by joy. I am literally surrounded by joy. Those who know me know that "joy" is not what would have formerly characterized my life. Anger/temper was really more characteristic of my overall life and outlook. Years ago, God began to lead me down a new path. It would be hard to say where it began....I do remember doing a word study on "joy" while studying James over 10 years ago. At this time I realized, "Huh - it doesn't mean air-head, bubbly Barbie type". ::snort::

The word joy signifies pleasure...but it is NOT dependent on pleasant circumstances. It is NOT in other words "happy". It signifies a deep contentment with God, with what He provides and where He leads. Joy is rooted in God's nature. It is produced in my life as a fruit of the spirit - I don't conjure it up. I walk ever closer in relationship with the Holy Spirit and the JOY OF THE LORD begins to flow into and out of my life. I began to ask God for joy. The journey began.

Two years ago our PWOC group in AK wanted to study James. I was excited. I love that book. I had already led an inductive study on it and I KNEW how powerful that small book is. This study happened to "coincide" with a lot of "hard" things that began to go on in my life. I was in chronic pain. My leg and hip would give out without warning. I was still experiencing joy. My wrists began to ache. They got to the point where I could not hold a pen. I was told it was most likely early MS....or maybe fibro. Choosing Joy. I found out I was pregnant. I was terribly sick. I remember one night going into the chapel to lead Bible study....my hip gave out - I was down. . . pregnant and in the snow...no warning....and I said, "Alright God, I'm going to CHOOSE JOY. I know you are doing something here and I am not going to blow this learning opportunity." Docs now thought my wrist pain was pregnancy related. (Part was/part wasn't). As the Bible study went on, I was told that I failed some genetic test and my baby had a good chance of having Downs. I had an ultrasound and the baby's heart and kidneys were somehow not functioning correctly. I found out we were moving back to TX and this wasn't my heart's desire (though I do love it now). I was told baby's chance of Downs was now 1/4. I was told to expect pre-eclampsia again (had it with 8th pregnancy). We moved. Through all this time a steady refrain sounded in my spirit "CHOOSE JOY"....some days it was almost audible..."Will you still choose joy?"......."STILL choosing joy down here". ::snort:: I had a healthy baby....except that something was wrong with her kidneys. More tests. She's fine. Choosing joy....WHAT IS THIS? A week after birth my blood pressure sky rocketed, I began to seize and nearly died....back in bed..did you know you can get pre-ecalmpsia AFTER you give birth? Choosing joy....Two oldest left for college...choosing joy...can't hold a bottle or baby hands and wrists are so bad...told now it's aging and arthritis...choosing joy.....and there you have it. God BREATHED the precious Holy Spirit's fruit into my life. Things are better now. Pain wise - I have flare ups but the pain is not constant. Anastacia Joy is a doll and has no lasting health problems. I have friends and am adjusting to TX once again.

Still I hear the steady call of the Love of my life to choose joy....to choose His nature...to choose to rest in Him regardless.......

So yesterday was hard...but I kept hearing "choose joy". I began to look around my home and realized that I was surrounded by joy these days.

Sent by an SHS friend

Bre makes bibs for each new baby and they hang in their room

This sign hangs on my window and will stay up this year

This lovely banner was made by one of my PWOC ladies in AK....it's a daily reminder to be soft, pliant and moldable in His hands....I moved this to right outside the laundry room door during Christmas decorating and I see it much more often now. I'm going to leave it there.

A great reminder to choose to wear the correct attire
Bre got this for me - she said "It reminded me of you, mom." Ah wow..tangible evidence of His work in my life.

Of course the blog title reminds me daily to check my choices. ::snort::

Last night a new friend stopped by. She asked if things were going o.k. and I cried. I HATE that. She didn't know the girls had left yesterday. She emailed late last night and guess what she reminded me that the "Joy of the Lord is my strength"....I'm surrounded by joy.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

You always bless me. Thank you so much for sharing your heart.

Romany said...

{{{{{{{{{{{DeEtta}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I hate it when I blub unexpectedly too. It always seems to happen with one particular friend. She must think I'm always crying!

I hope that writing out the journey through to joy helped you.

Praying that you won't have to choose it so much for the next little while. That it will sort of force itself on you when you least expect it.

Dorothy

Stephanie said...

Praying hugs your way. And thank you for sharing all that you do. It's a reminder to us too!

Heather said...

What an awesome testimony for REAL JOY! I had only heard part of this, so I am truly amazed at how God worked in your Life to show you that Joy that he so wants us all to have. Thank you, De'Etta, for the reminder!
And hang in there! Only 63 more days! And August will come around "faster'n you can shake a stick at!" lol Just another Texas gem I heard the other day!

Anonymous said...

Sis: Love you Tons and we are both praying a lot for you daily.

Can't say anything more than you said. So glad the Lord ministers to you so often.

The agnostic, liberal lady who had the one comment about Jamin's writing asked me yesterday... Jan, how do you keep stress from bothering you with all that is going on in your husbands life? I was happy to tell her I didn't think I was stressed out anymore and that it was the Lord who helped me.

So beautiful that that plaque reminded Bre of you. Awesome! One really never knows who is being blessed and/or learning from personal experiences.

love/prayers

Romany said...

I'm glad the photos loaded, they are lovely.

Dorothy