Saturday, January 27, 2007

Spanakopita (Greek Spinach pastry)

~Moosewood Cookbook (one of my favorites)

8 servings/ 375*

2 C crumbled feta cheese
5 eggs
2 T flour
3 T butter
1 C chopped onion
1 tsp basil
salt, pepper
2 C (1 lb) cottage or pot cheese
1/2 tsp oregano
2 lbs fresh spinach

1 lb defrosted filo dough
1/2 lb melted butter

Clean, stem and chop the spinach. Salt it lightly, and cook, adding no water, for 5 minutes.

Cook the onions in butter, salting lightly. When soft, combine with remaining ingredients and spinach.

To Assemble: Spread melted butter on a 9 x 13 baking pan. Place filo leaf in the pan - it will outsize the pan. Let the edges climb the sides) and brush generously with butter. Keep layers of dough coming, one on top of another, brushing each with butter. When you have a pile of 8 leaves, spread on half the filling. Continue with another stack of 8 or so leaves (don't skimp on the butter), then apply the remaining filling, spreading it to the edges. Fold the excess filo down along the edges, making little tidy corners (mine never are - I just stuff em).

Pile as many more layers of filo and butter as your baking pan will accommodate. Butter the top-most leaf and sprinkle with a Tablespoon of whole FENNEL seeds (this makes it great) if you have some on hand.

Bake uncovered, about 45 minutes - till golden.

This one is really pretty - I'll try to remember to make it again when the camera is working and add a photo. LOL

4 comments:

Jen said...

DeEtta, can we use Filo dough? Is it FG friendly? I have often wondered what are supposed to use for this.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I use filo dough - but Zander won't eat it anyway - EWWWWW green, soft stuff!!!! ::snort::

I have filo dough from Shop Natural and I always check ingredients so I think it would be fine...let me get back to you.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Jen - here are the ingredients in the filo dough I get from Shop Natural - other than the tri-cacium phosphate I'm familiar with all of them and they are fine for Zander. I am willing to give this a shot...but he won't touch it with spinach in it. LOL This is my treat. LOL

The Filo Factory:
Ingredients:
Organic wheat flour, filtered water, organic wheat starch, arrowroot, organic expeller pressed safflower/soy/sunflower oil, organic malt extract, salt, soy lecithin, tri-calcium phosphate.

Emily said...

De'Etta, I know you didn't know this but I am Greek and spanikopita is one of my favorite Greek foods! We actually have feta cheese and Kalamate Olives as a dinner appetizer many nights a week! I will try your recipe soon!