Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Happy Birthday Jesus

One tradition that we've been blessed to share, without having to do all the work, is a birthday party for Jesus. The RE departments where we've been for the past 4 - 6 years have done this. I planned to do it this year as our children enjoy it - but all my notes, recipes etc are on the crashed computer....and now I realize that we're so far into the season it may be hard to find a day when others could join us. But if I can't pull it off for a big group this year - we'll do family this year and a big party for all next year. I'll plan it for early in the season. LOL

When I think of all the time folks spend on children's birthday parties, I think we could do the same for Jesus. I have the recipe for the cake and story that goes along with it....colors, shapes, as you explain the cake to the children it tells the whole gospel story.... we have everyone bring a gift for Jesus to be donated to a local group. It's tons of fun.....

If we lived on base, I'd do like our friend Julie did in AK, and invite everyone over before the Christmas Eve Chapel service.....but I'm simply not sure how to fit this in now. I suppose it doesn't have to be during December...we COULD do a party whenever we choose to.....Hmmm...all ya'll locals beware you may get an invite to a birthday party for Jesus in March or April. ::snort:: Anyway - I plan to find the directions and such and make the cake and at least have a family celebration.....

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I organized one of those parties for our children's program a few years ago at church. It was quite memorable for the young ones.

Anonymous said...

go for it! sounds like a great idea and thing to do.

Dad wants to take chocolate over the the re-hab place for everyone.... says they don't get good chocolate.

l/p

Anonymous said...

What a fun tradition. I'll have to try and remember this for next year. I especially like how you do the "colors" thing for the cake. Somehow a cake with flowers (or better yet, spiderman VGB) just never seemed appropriate for Jesus' birthday...

Jen in Az.