Tuesday, December 19, 2006

FEAST PIG
I was coming in to send a quick note about this idea. I thought I should look quickly for a picture of a piggy bank. I checked email and had received an email from Mom with this photo. What a hoot. Not exactly the photo I was looking for but timely for the season. ::snort::
In our studying of symbols we talked about various giving. We came across a description in several places. All attribute this to "old England" - maybe Dorothy can let us know if she's ever heard of this. LOL Supposedly, it was practice to begin filling a pig with coins after Christmas. This would be broken open the following year and the money given to charity. From this we get our "piggy banks". We have been thinking about how to implement the feast pig in our home. I need to go back and read how Emily and her family do this. I loved the idea when I first read it there, have done something similar in year's past....then read about feast pigs and decided we really need to do this.
I began looking for a ceramic pig we could "break" open but then decided separating glass and coins may not be a fun task. Anyway - in some shape or form we are going to implement the tradition of the feast pig in our home. We'll save change all year and then donate it next December. I'm thinking that it would fit nicely into our Happy Birthday Jesus Party.

5 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

My boys couldn't figure out what that picture was...it's a starving piggy bank...LOL

Cynthia said...

LOL on the picture. Love the idea!

Anonymous said...

Sis: Jim Brown spends most evenings looking for stuff. He has done this since Gloria died 5 yrs. ago. I don't open everything but sure did like the photos he sent. :):):)

L/P

Romany said...

Hi, I've not heard of a feast pig, but then I don't live in Old England.{g} It may have been the thing, once.

The tradition of saving all year to give to a needy family or 'cause' at Christmas is a long-established practice, though.

We have a collection box in our hall by the front door.

Churches have collection boxes for the poor. The traditional day for the distribution of the monies from these was Boxing Day, which is 26th December and still a national holiday here.

Dorothy

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Dorothy - that is what this was talking about then because they broke them open the day after Christmas.....It would be much easier for us to find a box than a pig....LOL