Friday, December 08, 2006

BUTTER CREAM FROSTING (FROM KATE!)
*You know the drill - my adaptations in (*)

Has to cool after cooking so plan ahead.

1 C milk
1/4 c all purpose flour (WW)
1 C butter - room temp
1 C granulated sugar (rapadura)
2 tsp real vanilla

Combine milk and flour in small saucepan on medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. I used this as written and it was fine - could have been thicker - add more flour in this stage for thicker.

Cream butter and rapadura until very fluffy - 5 min in the Bosch for me.

Add vanilla and flour mixture and continue to beat until very fluffy and sugar is dissolved. Scrape bowl every couple of minutes. Take a tiny bit and rub between your fingers to see if sugar is dissolved.

This was WONDERFUL - the children liked it better than my honey frosting attempt. LOL It was off white because I didn't use bleached sugar - but it tasted like butter cream/vanilla frosting. Because of the rapadura it had a slight "coffee" taste according to my children...but they ate it all....I think it's a molasses taste that they are catching and not really mocha.

2 comments:

Heather said...

MMMM, sounds good. I'll have to try this one. I will have to use my sucanot though.

I thought you had a lot going on today. You looked very tired this am. Hope you get some sleep tonight. Thank you for all you are doing for the produce co-op. If you feel you need some help, please don't hesitate to ask.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Ah....I was tired because Stacia is stuffy and won't sleep....or can't sleep....

Hey - this Chicken Salad would be great to use up celery, grapes and pineapple....I'm going to put it in the newsletter for next week.