Sunday, November 19, 2006

Uncle Bill's "Original" Chocolate Pecan Pie

INGREDIENTS:
4 oz semi sweet squares of chocolate
2 T butter
1/3 C Sugar
1 C Karo Syrup
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 C pecans

unbaked single crust for 9 in

DIRECTIONS:
Microwave butter and chocolate for 1 - 2 minutes - stir 1/2 way. Stir in sugar, syrup, eggs, vanilla. Add pecans and pour into a pastry shell.

Bake at 350* for 50 minutes - until 2 inches in are firm. Check at 40 minutes. {Stephanie suggests 400* for 10 min and then 300* for 30 min.}

* Note Uncle Bill's pecan pies were always carmelized - I've been told since living in the South that Pecan Pies are supposed to be more custardy than caremlized....I'd love to hear opinions on THIS....my plan is to bake it until I think it is done, and if no one else likes it - we do. LOL


6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I wouldn't say custardy would be how I would explain our pecan pies. I've always used my great grandmother's pecan pie, and being from the deep, deep south in southern GA she was as southern as you could get. :)

3 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup karo syrup, 1 stick butter (melted), 1 tsp vanilla (though I go heavy on it), 1 cup largely chopped pecan pieces.

Now I've got to decide if I stick with this out of tradition, or if I update it to make it healthier. I'm just not sure what to do! I may try your pie Monday to see how it goes over with the kids and then just do it again on Thursday. lol

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Well - see there - I'm thinking my son wanted it carmelized but I got it just right....Steph how long do you bake your gram's pie? This one called for 325* 20 min and it was GOOPEY!!!! I did 350* for about 40 minutes and it was custardy but set...does that seem about right?

Yours has more butter....and about 1/2 C more sugar (because I use 1 c honey) makes me think that my uncles would be close to yours....and would probably be good with the 1 C honey and the 2/3 C rapadura. I think I'll try it - but not let it carmelize...

Renee said...

THis sounds scrumptious.... now to see if our commisary has the chocolate

Lisa in Jax said...

Man! I can't have either. Bummer!lol I guess I'll just have to stick with pumpkin.

Stephanie said...

Sorry I forgot the baking directions! Put it in at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then drop it down to 300 degrees for 30. I have absolutely not carmelize, not pudding, not jello... :) It might be very close to your 40 minute bake.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I may try this Steph...I know that it was no where near done at 325* - 20 minutes. LOL