Thursday, November 16, 2006

My Perfect Planner






A while back I asked what features you'd all look for in the perfect planner. The response was underwhelming. ::snort::




I admit I have a THING about calendars. Transfering to the computer and a PDA was very sad for me. I loved picking out new calendars each year.....and it is TIME. I'm starting to get engagements into January. My big calendar is still crashed.




Today I picked out a lighthouse calendar for our room. We have a giant calendar for weekly family activities mounted in the library. This is a one month dry erase from Office Depot. I use it by using the colums DOWN as a day - so it works for all of us for one week. We are all color coded. ::snort::



I began designing this perfect planner a couple of months ago. I'm happy. My planner is in a 1 1/2 inch, 3 ring binder. I put an 8 x 10 family photo on the front.



I needed color, so I chose purple and I made dividers from colored folders. Currently my sections are: a calendar, Thin Within Observation worksheets, directories (all of them in ONE spot, chapel, homeschool support group, two co-ops, chapel spouse), reciepts I need to save (pampered chef, plane tickets) and co-op. All the papers are easily hole punched and stored in the notebook.




In addition I placed a zipper pouch in front. This holds pens, white out (because the schedule always changes), calculater and highlighter.

I am using some plastic folder pockets (not sure of their exact name). One holds coupons and checks from co-op, another holds recipts, another holds stamps, address labels and custom forms, and the last one has blank Thin Within sheets.




I loved the calendar I had on my fridge last year - but it really didn't get used there. A couple of months ago, I took the staples out, cut it in half, hole punched it and put it in my notebook. This calendar has really large squares to write in. It is supposed to have slots for each family member - but it isn't close. LOL Having the calender in my notebook has worked so well the past couple of months that today I bought a 2007 calendar by the same company. I DID cut it up - but I used every part of the calendar. I put the pages in my calendar section, I put the cover on the back cover of the notebook, I cut the bottom pockent off and slid it into the binding of my planner and I used graphics from pages I didn't need to decorate my page dividers. LOL






The great thing about this is that it can grow as I need it too....I can add sections easily. I thought of buying day timer monthly pages...but I needed the color and large spaces on the calendar.




I still have the weekly dry erase family calendar.....and when my computer is working I'll have the outlook calendar - because it synchs to the PDA....but this is the calendar that walks around the house wherever the phone is....and it tracks my food, my spending, my phone numbers are there...everything.....I don't want it to grow any bigger than this...if I'm not careful it will be a 5 in notebook. LOL

6 comments:

Renee said...

My planner is not as complex but I discovered 3ring binders back in FL. I put all my directories in it as well; each one in a separate plastic sleeve.
I never thought to add my calendar to that though.....for 2007 I have a German calendar since the PX has only wall calendars,
I too color code our events - purple for Madeleine (favorite color), green for James (color of Boy Scouts), orange for Abigail (one of her favorites), red for Theresa (her fav) and blue for JOhn (color of Cub Scouts)... then I use black for family/mom events... Dad maintains his calendar at work.... and forgets to loook at the family calendar :(

Anonymous said...

Clever you to be able to manage more than one calendar!

When I kept a wall one and a notebook style one I would get into a real mess, forgetting to transfer info from one to another.

Every Sept I get an academic year diary which goes from Sept to Christmas the *following year*. That really helps as I can start planning days out, vacations etc well in advance.

Dorothy

Cynthia said...

It looks like the life notebooks that some people around here are really into right now. I've given up the PDA calendar at least for now....mainly because others can't write in it (LOL) and because our schedule doesn't change that much. We do the same things on the same days.. only occasionally add extra evening things so it's pretty easy to remember or look at in my notebook calendar. I LOVE your idea of cutting apart a regular calendar. I'll have tos ee if I can find a colorful one to fit my notebook.. around 5x7 size.

Debbie said...

Great looking book! I've been using an old day timer 3-ring type notebook...5.5x8 size, but I think it is going to be too small. I might have to jump up to a 8.5x11 size.

My PDA died and I haven't replaced it. I loved it for calendar and addresses, but really didn't use it for much else.

Diann said...

I love being able to actually WRITE things on my calendar too, but I couldn't live without my PDA as well. It goes everywhere I go. I did finally get smart this year and color code the calendar, though. I have color coded on the PDA for a long time.

Diann in NV

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

QB - what's a lifebook? What's in it? I've never heard of one. I like this because I can custom make it to be what I need. For instance, it did not begin with a spot for PC reciepts or Veggie Sales.