Thursday, October 05, 2006

"Chicken" Divan (for Debbie)

I'll write this "as was" for those of you who want the quick and dirty version and then mention my adaptations below.

3 C cooked Chicken (optional {bg})
2 pkg Frozen Broccoli
2 cans cream of chicken soup or Cream of Chicken Soup
1 C mayo
1/4 tsp curry powder
1 T lemon juice
1 C grated cheese
4 T melted butter
1 C crumbled Ritz crackers

Place broccoli and chicken in a 9 x 13 pan.

Mix the soup, mayo, curry and lemon. Pour mixture over chicken/broccoli. {You can place this in a ziploc at this point and freeze - later thaw, mix butter and ritz sprinkle over top, then cheese and bake}.

 Mix the Ritz crackers with the melted butter. Scatter this over all, add cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

*Adaptations

~OK - when I don't want meat....I simply use lots of broccoli and we don't miss the meat. I mix the broccoli and rice and place that in the bottom of the pan and then proceed.

~I steam fresh broccoli - however much I want {G}

~I make a white sauce and substitute it in all my old "cream of recipes". I can send that along if anyone needs it. I add a bit of organic chicken bullion or broth for the flavor.

~I use veganaise instead of mayo

~ I finally found an organic RITZ cracker that tastes right....and THIS is why I was so happy about that on Monday.

~ Here is a "recipe" for the cream of soup.....

Frankly...the kids ate the healthy version every bit as fast as the unhealthy. LOL

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Thanks! I'm going to start keeping a notebook of all these great recipes you ladies are sharing.