Friday, June 16, 2006

De'Etta's Granola (Kristine in SA - it only APPEARED that I'd forgotten)

*12 C Oats
1 C Grape Nuts (we like the clumps and crunch but if you don't use more seeds/nuts or oats)
1 C Wheat Germ
1 C Flax Seed
1 - 2 C of Cashews (I get these raw and in bulk from the co-op)
1 - 2 C Almonds

I use 4 C of crunchies (nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds - whatever I have)

**1 1/2 C Oil
2 C honey
1 T pure vanilla flavoring
2 T pure almond flavoring

I heat the oil and honey in the microwave until boiling. Meanwhile mix all else but the flavorings. Add the vanilla and almond to the liquid mix. Pour the liquid mix over the dry mix and combine well. Pour onto two greased cookie sheets (big ones) and bake at 350* for 20 - 30 minutes stirring every 10 min....OR dehydrate for 12 - 14 hours......Cool and store in an air tight container.

Comments:
This is good to snack on, eat cold or heat up with milk in the microwave.

*This makes enough to fill a big Rubbermaid cereal keeper with a couple of bowls left over...guessing most would want to 1/2 it?

**I used olive oil and it is fine - coconut oil would be really good in it. We like crunchy and this hasn't been turning out as crunchy as we like it down here....so I plan to decrease the oil to 3/4 - 1 C of oil next time.

I don't put dried fruit IN the granola because some in my family like it plain. You could add coconut, raisens, dates, pineapple....

I love Golden Temple Vanilla Almond granola and am aiming for that. Like that infamous Andes Mint Chocolate Cheesecake - it's a recipe still in the creation stage. BTW I plan to tackle THAT recipe before the summer is out and see if I can make it healthier. I bought the real peppermint oil last month....need to try some honey substitutions out.

No comments: